The objective of the workshop is to introduce participants to the expressive possibilities offered by the tempera painting technique, through the study of the method developed within the Italian painting tradition during the Middle Ages and Renaissance.
DIDACTIC STRUCTURE OF THE WORKSHOP:
During the workshop, participants will learn the fundamental techniques of tempera painting on wood panel.
The workshop is divided into two main areas of study
- Theoretical: reading treatises on paintings and other literary sources that will help to understand the approach, materials and techniques used by painters of the past; analysis of the works of famous artists, basic techniques, and some of the most important aesthetic and philosophical concepts of ancient iconography.
- Practical: Preparation of materials, supports and colors for egg tempera painting; the painting process: the preparatory drawing, the various steps of color application, etc.; execution of a complete work.
Having painting or drawing skills will be an advantage, but the subjects discussed and practiced will also be very interesting for people without previous practical experience in drawing and painting (such as art historians, restorers, iconographers, and others interested in Renaissance and Medieval painting techniques).
At the end of the course students will be able to develop their own works (drawings and paintings) using methods and procedures similar to those of famous Florentine painters such as Botticelli, Michelangelo, Ghirlandaio, Giotto, and others.
Painter, designer, and instructor
- Preparation of the panels: choice of supports, priming and smoothing of the surface
- Underpainting: transfer of the preparatory drawing, realization of the drawing on the board
- Gilding: process of applying gold leaf backgrounds and different ways of gilding
- Materials for painting: pigments and binders, their properties and uses, preparation of binders and grinding of colors
- Egg tempera painting: the methodology of egg tempera painting, ways of applying layers of paint, shaping volumes, mixing colors, etc.
- Tempera grassa and introduction to oil painting: emulsion and oil binders, their advantages and use, combination of egg tempera and oil painting
72 hours (2-week course, Monday through Friday).
All materials needed for the course will be made available by the school.
The registration price includes the cost of materials.
Students maintain ownership of the works they create.
The course topics are presented in a comfortable and interactive way. To get an idea, check out the Renaissance Painting Techniques course.
Artist’s website: https://www.shtyrmer.com/
Contact us to learn more:
Are you interested in our course? Contact us to receive upcoming dates, times and detailed schedule.
tel: (+39) 055 8311077