◆ HISTORICAL BACKGROUND:
The construction of the church began on the date of canonization of the saint, March 12, 1622, when it was decided to build a building of worship in Castelfranco di Sopra and was also instituted the feast in honor of San Filippo. In 1635, after the transfer of the relics, the church was blessed and opened for worship, becoming one of the most popular places of pilgrimage in the area.
It can be deduced that the first construction had more modest dimensions, characteristics, and finishes. The Church, much loved by the inhabitants of Castelfranco, underwent changes over the centuries in order to enrich and enlarge it. Some emblematic examples are: the addition of the bell tower (1637) and the realization of the façade “which before was of sgraffio and was built of stone and was designed by master Domenico di Filippo Segni” as testified in the scroll above the main entrance (1761).